Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'The WD Interview'

The WD Interview – Andreas Düllick, Editor Strassenfeger & President Mob e.V.

May 15th, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, General, The WD Interview

Andreas Düllick talks fast, clear and precisely. In the same time spent interviewing other people, he manages to say an average of 400 words more. Perhaps it’s the urgency of the situation that pushes him to provide as much information as he can possibly squeeze in.
Düllick is the editor of Strassenfeger, a bi-weekly magazine sold [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

The WD Interview – Anita Contini, Director Memorial, Cultural and Civic Programs, Lower Manhattan Development Corporation

May 6th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, General, The WD Interview

We don’t know what the new downtown skyline will look like. But we do know it will contain a memorial. According to one dictionary a memorial is ‘something that keeps remembrance of persons or events alive’. It is Anita Contini’s task to project manage the process of creating that ‘something’. The words she uses most [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The WD Interview – Dr. Garrett Lisi, Physicist, Surfer & Snowboarder

March 27th, 2009 · 1 Comment · Science, The WD Interview

In November 2007, Garrett Lisi published “An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything”, a theory that attempts to describe all fundamental interactions that physicists have observed in nature, unifying general relativity with the standard model of particle physics. A self-confessed adventure sports fanatic, Lisi now lives and works in Maui, Hawaii, dividing his time between physics [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

The WD Interview – Julie August, Gallery Owner & Art Dealer

March 16th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, The WD Interview

What do you do with an 18 metre long corridor that’s dead space? Julie August converted part of her Berlin apartment into a gallery, playing with the concept of living with art versus living IN art. Here she explains why a White Cube is not always the best home for contemporary paintings and sculptures.
It [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The WD Interview – Alexandra Giselbrecht & Klaus Huber, Eyewear Designers (part III)

February 13th, 2009 · No Comments · Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Klaus Huber and Alexandra Giselbrecht talk about their designs for Robert La Roche and keeping the enfant terrible of the optical industry edgy in a modern setting.

Please tell us a bit about the history of Robert La Roche – is Robert La Roche himself still involved with the company?
Klaus Huber: ”The company Robert la Roche [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···········

The WD Interview – Dr. Penelope Leach, Author and Developmental Child Psychologist

February 6th, 2009 · No Comments · Education, The WD Interview

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The WD Interview – Michael Aram Tarr, Photographer

January 30th, 2009 · No Comments · Photography, The WD Interview

To hear the words “I really loved the media blackout“ from a professional photographer might seem like a contradiction, but Michael Aram Tarr has just spent the last five years living and working in Arunachal Pradesh, an isolated region in India.
The result of this work has recently been published in a book called “Through the [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The WD Interview – Anne Valentin, Eyewear Designer (part II)

January 22nd, 2009 · 2 Comments · Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

If the boom of the brand it not your idea of making a fashion statement, then France remains one of the countries where you can still find intelligent design that doesn’t scream in people’s faces. Here, unlike other countries, youth is not a free pass to qualify as a style icon: Catherine Deneuve, Loulou de [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The WD Interview – Harald Gottschling & Philipp Haffmans, Eyewear Designers (part I)

January 13th, 2009 · Comments Off · Berlin, Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Let’s get one thing clear from the start. For all its creativity, Germany is not a typical breeding ground for entrepreneurs. To be successful internationally, you will have either been born into the cluster of old wealthy clans whose names are instantly recognised abroad, or you pack your bags and leave.
Mykita, the German eyewear company, [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The WD Interview – Betsy Burke, Writer

January 6th, 2009 · Comments Off · Literature, The WD Interview

Betsy Burke is a Canadian writer based in Italy. She is the author of Lucy’s Launderette, Performance Anxiety and Hardly Working all published by Red Dress Ink. Betsy is currently working on a novel set in 19th century and contemporary Florence.
Betsy, before you became a writer, you were an opera singer.
“My older brother was an [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········