Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Travel Writing'

Guest Blogger: The Fat Guy…is in Moscow

October 7th, 2011 · No Comments · Guest Blogger, Travel Writing

The Fat Guy sat, surrounded by the bulky, neo-gothic, Stalinist splendour of the hotel. The marble floors, the decorated ceilings, the “gold cord” service… everything to a scale just slightly too large to be comfortable.
Cosseted in his grandiose bubble, the Fat Guy peered out on the streets nine floors below.
People, huddled in their coats, were [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

Ten Years Ago We Used To Live In Battery Park

September 11th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Between 1996 and 2003 we used to live in Downtown Manhattan in Battery Park next to the Twin Towers. The following is the original text submitted for an article that was commissioned by Junior Magazine in 2002. The published article now forms part of the Make History exhibit of the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
The View Two [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Manhattan

April 22nd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Impression I: 65 East 82nd Street, New York, New York

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Genova

February 7th, 2011 · 1 Comment · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Domenico Parodi’s allegoric painting on the ceiling of the Salotto del Tempo (Room of Time) at the Palazzo Reale in Genoa portrays the young and attractive Truth unveiled by the wise old man Time, while the Lie – unmasked and horrified – is seen fleeing in the corner of the ceiling.
The Palazzo Reale was built [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Kiev

July 13th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Leaving Kiev at dawn, the air smelt sweetly. This was the voyage’s last surprise. I had come across this well used phrase in novels, but never inhaled the air that inspired it.
But here in the northwest outskirts of Kiev, the air really did smell sweetly, pure and warm. There were no blossoms in sight and [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat…is looking for the People’s Republic of China

April 20th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

It is hard to remember that we are in the People’s Republic of China, the largest communist country in the world.
There are no obvious signs. To all intends and purposes we might actually be in a rather generously sprawling part of Chinatown in New York or Chicago or London.
Fact is, Shanghai is a business town. [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat…is shopping in Shanghai

April 15th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Writers’ rates being what they are, Shanghai’s most relevant shopping spot is Market 580 in 580 Nanjing Xi Street.
Until June 2006, this market was located outdoors in a park which was a maze of stalls, very dirty and quite confusing. It was also one of the biggest markets in China to offer fake designer goods.
Today [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Shanghai

April 8th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

It is common journalistic and literary practice to focus on a detail to explain the larger picture. Six years ago this was perfectly summed up in Shanghai’s Yu Gardens in the old city, which is dominated by a large flying eave wooden Chinese structure, a live Huang Gongwang painting set in 2004.
The small Starbucks Coffee [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

The Charming Mountain Goat…will be grazing in Shanghai

April 1st, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Next week I will be in Shanghai for about nine days. Be ready for some Charming Mountain Goat observations and WD Interviews – jet lag permitting.
Do not expect shiny new photos of the latest Shanghai skyline – more recycled charming shots in black and white have already been sourced and scaled to size.

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…is sauntering through London

January 25th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

The first love for an object – Nutella-soaked breakfast crackers, Glenn Gould and his variations on Goldberg, before Florence in May, even before the nimble feet of Fred Astaire – the love that came before all others was England, and more specifically: London.
Like all other first adolescent emotional attachments this love was abstract, idealistic, unconditional, [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······