Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Travel Writing'

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Zürich

June 1st, 2009 · 1 Comment · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing at the Cannes Film Festival

May 18th, 2009 · 1 Comment · Charming Mountain Goat, South of France, Travel Writing

If it is May, if it is Cannes, if while queuing up for a coffee you bump (literally) into Angelica Huston, if there is a police escort riding through the busy rush hour streets to the nearby private Cannes-Mandelieu airport, then it must be the Festival de Cannes!
This is the time when the orthodontist’s secretary [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Florence

May 13th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Florence is exceedingly beautiful. You arrive and its full force elegance knocks you out. You stare with gaping eyes, mouth open and wander around the streets disoriented. Florence is exceedingly beautiful!
It used to be more separate, tourists passing through, tolerated as a necessary audience. The Florentines would not bother communicating with you in any other [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·········

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing along the former Berlin Wall

May 4th, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

On being German, Part I
It will be twenty years this November that the Berlin Wall came down in what is called here the “peaceful revolution”. Naturally, Berlin is remembering the event, but compared to recent public parties such as the 2006 Football World Cup, it is still all rather low key.
A permanent information box in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The Charming Mountain Goat – Do you know the way to St. Tropez?

March 30th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France, Travel Writing

The best time to come and see it is not in the summer. Then it is transformed and different, overtly attractive, strange, slightly vulgar and glamorous, but not truly itself. If possible, come in January or February when the streets are deserted, the gaudy shops are closed and the wind drives through the empty narrow [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Northern California

March 23rd, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

For my part, the first reaction was an unkind and purely emotional response. Waiting in line to board a flight with an American airline from Europe to California, you couldn’t miss her as she and the crew passed the waiting passengers to go onboard the plane in preparation for take-off.
As I involuntarily zoomed in on [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Berlin II

March 2nd, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Mary and Mohammed are from Sierre Leone, which they both fled at different times. They are shy, but despite that Mary hugs me like an old friend, with a warmth that seldom exists between women in the West. Her husband shakes hands shyly, but his eyes shine and his smile is big. [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Ventimiglia, Italy

January 9th, 2009 · 2 Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

From Nice it is a 15-minute car ride into Italy. The Côte d’Azur and the Ligurian Coast blend seamlessly into each other. It is a favourite past time of many locals to pop over for the day and visit the nearby markets in Ventimiglia or San Remo. Everyone leaves laden with fruits, vegetables, Italian specialities, leather [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Atlanta, Georgia

November 4th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

No one ever demonstrated the word ‘strutting’ so perfectly like the 6-foot 2 Afro-American woman walking past Starbucks in downtown Atlanta.  In her yellow 6-inch stiletto heels, her short black dress, and a bottom that looked like she was carrying a cushion-shaped tray under her dress, she exuded beauty because she was completely confident [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Tennessee

November 1st, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

You could just turn it into a game. While circling and cruising the neatly laid out squares that hold shopping malls, walk-in clinics and restaurants that democratically cater for every taste, you could just count the churches along the way. Google ‘churches in TN’ and the search engine comes back dutifully with the number [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········