Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Guest Blogger'

Guest Blogger: The Fat Guy in Moscow – The Epilogue

November 8th, 2011 · No Comments · Guest Blogger

The Fat Guy sits on a plane from Moscow to Paris. He is not in Business Class and it is hot and crowded.
He has thought about the last few days. Maybe he had learnt something. Maybe writing it down had somehow made it clearer.
He lived in bubble.
He had a beautiful wife, beautiful children. There was [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

Guest Blogger: The Fat Guy in Moscow – Day 2 The House by the River

November 7th, 2011 · No Comments · Guest Blogger

Lilia points out a large, ageing apartment block on the bank of the Moscow River.
“This is the House on the River. Everyone knows it. If you say to a friend: ‘I’ll meet you by the House on the River’, he will know where it is. Stalin had it built. They were apartments for the government [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

Guest Blogger: The Fat Guy in Moscow – Day 1 Red Square

October 19th, 2011 · No Comments · Guest Blogger

The Fat Guy is walking across Red Square. Grey skies and red walls.
St Basil’s church is ahead of him. A beautiful, fairytale, childlike monument conceived by one of Russia’s greatest psychopaths: Ivan, the Terrible.
The Fat Guy pulls his coat tighter to keep out the fine drizzle slowly soaking into his clothes.
Igor is walking behind. Lilia [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

Guest Blogger: The Fat Guy in Moscow – The Overture

October 17th, 2011 · No Comments · Guest Blogger

The Fat Guy is flying to Moscow in Business Class. All of the passengers are Russian. There are two girls on the other side of the aisle. They are about 18 years old. At most.  Long legs, too many glittery things and wearing their sunglasses at night.
The girls are watching DVDs and try to look [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

Guest Blogger: The Fat Guy…is in Moscow

October 7th, 2011 · No Comments · Guest Blogger, Travel Writing

The Fat Guy sat, surrounded by the bulky, neo-gothic, Stalinist splendour of the hotel. The marble floors, the decorated ceilings, the “gold cord” service… everything to a scale just slightly too large to be comfortable.
Cosseted in his grandiose bubble, the Fat Guy peered out on the streets nine floors below.
People, huddled in their coats, were [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··