Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Berlin'

The WD Interview – Axel Klausmeier, Director Berlin Wall Foundation

March 26th, 2010 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, General, The WD Interview

It seems appropriate that Axel Klausmeier’s office overlooks one of the most famous former crossing points of the Berlin Wall in central Berlin in Bernauer Strasse. In the 28 year history of the Wall, this section is perhaps the most symbolic and emotional.
It was here that mass escapes took place. Iconic photographs such as the [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The WD Interview – Andreas Düllick, Editor Strassenfeger & President Mob e.V.

May 15th, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, General, The WD Interview

Andreas Düllick talks fast, clear and precisely. In the same time spent interviewing other people, he manages to say an average of 400 words more. Perhaps it’s the urgency of the situation that pushes him to provide as much information as he can possibly squeeze in.
Düllick is the editor of Strassenfeger, a bi-weekly magazine sold [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing along the former Berlin Wall

May 4th, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

On being German, Part I
It will be twenty years this November that the Berlin Wall came down in what is called here the “peaceful revolution”. Naturally, Berlin is remembering the event, but compared to recent public parties such as the 2006 Football World Cup, it is still all rather low key.
A permanent information box in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The WD Interview – Julie August, Gallery Owner & Art Dealer

March 16th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, The WD Interview

What do you do with an 18 metre long corridor that’s dead space? Julie August converted part of her Berlin apartment into a gallery, playing with the concept of living with art versus living IN art. Here she explains why a White Cube is not always the best home for contemporary paintings and sculptures.
It [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Berlin II

March 2nd, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Mary and Mohammed are from Sierre Leone, which they both fled at different times. They are shy, but despite that Mary hugs me like an old friend, with a warmth that seldom exists between women in the West. Her husband shakes hands shyly, but his eyes shine and his smile is big. [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The WD Interview – Harald Gottschling & Philipp Haffmans, Eyewear Designers (part I)

January 13th, 2009 · Comments Off · Berlin, Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Let’s get one thing clear from the start. For all its creativity, Germany is not a typical breeding ground for entrepreneurs. To be successful internationally, you will have either been born into the cluster of old wealthy clans whose names are instantly recognised abroad, or you pack your bags and leave.
Mykita, the German eyewear company, [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Berlin

April 18th, 2008 · Comments Off · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

The new old capital of Germany is in financial trouble. Big time. Reunification has cost dearly and over the last few years the city was forced to cut down on its maintenance of public parks and playgrounds. Less and less flowers are being planted every spring. This is a serious sign for a city that [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····