Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'It's just a Book'

Book: Audrey a Roma (Audrey in Rome)

November 16th, 2011 · No Comments · Coffee Table Books, It's just a Book, Movies

Audrey Hepburn epitomized European chic and elegance thanks to her close relationship with Parisian couturier Hubert de Givenchy. Perhaps less known are her strong ties to Rome.

Hepburn worked and lived in the eternal city between 1955 (filming “War and Peace” with her husband Mel Ferrer) to the 1970s. Here, her second son, Luca Dotti was [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···················

It’s just a book…”Elegance” by Sylvie Aubenas and Xavier Demange

June 7th, 2011 · No Comments · Art, It's just a Book

Before Street Fashion bloggers there used to be “The Sartorialist”. Before the Sartorialist there used to be Bill Cunningham. And long before anyone thought fashion really important, there were the Séeberger brothers. In 1906, Jules (1872-1956), Louis (1874-1946) and Henri (1876-1956) Séeberger founded a family run photo studio. Today 60,000 of their film negatives are held in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··························

it’s just a book – “Nella Notte Buia” by Bruno Munari

May 4th, 2010 · 1 Comment · Art, It's just a Book

Italian children might not all be raised in style, but always with style.
Bruno Munari, the Italian graphic designer and Futurist, made sure that this was also true where children’s reading was concerned.
Influenced by such artists as Marinetti, he started experimenting with new ideas in graphics and typography in the 1930s. These ideas would first come [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··············

it’s just a book…”Chinese Propaganda Posters” ed. Taschen/Michael Wolf

April 9th, 2010 · 1 Comment · Art, History, It's just a Book

Michael Wolf is a German photographer who has lived in China for the last 15 years.
The collaboration with the publisher Benedict Taschen produced Wolf’s documentation of the shaping of public politics and opinion making comprising his extensive collection of Chinese propaganda posters.
As always, nothing is more revealing about the truth of politics than its propaganda [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

it’s just a book…”Amelia Earhart – The Thrill of It” by Susan Wels

February 3rd, 2010 · 2 Comments · Biography, It's just a Book

Amelia Earhart continues to fascinate and influence. Her life, her personality and her sense of style are constantly being discovered by new generations.

Over 40 books (“The Sound of Wings: The Life of Amelia Earhart” by Mary S. Lovell, Susan Butler’s “East to the Dawn: The Life of Amelia Earhart”), films (Hilary “Amelia”, Amy Adams in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

It’s just a book… “Wall and Piece” by Banksy

January 27th, 2010 · 1 Comment · Art, It's just a Book

This book collects some of the most famous art work of British graffiti/street artist Banksy. His name is a pseudonym and little is known about him. It is believed that he was born in the 1970s near Bristol.
His work can be seen around London, throughout the UK and abroad.

In 1980s England social, cultural and political [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

it’s just a book…”Cassette From My Ex: Stories and Soundtracks of Lost Loves” by Jason Bitner

January 11th, 2010 · No Comments · It's just a Book

For those that missed the pre-Christmas release of this book, a little reminder that this collection of bittersweet memories of the good old days of taperecorders and pirate copying from the radio is now out.
Side A
Jason Bitner: Author of FOUND fame
The Full Amount: Sixty Stories
Contents and Theme: Loves, Dreams & Grownin’ UP (‘somewhere along the [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

it’s just a book… “Gerhard Richter – A Life in Painting” by Dietmar Elger (transl. Elisabeth…)

September 30th, 2009 · No Comments · Art, Biography, It's just a Book

Gerhard Richter is without doubt Germany’s greatest living painter with a body of work that spans nearly five decades. The 2002 US retrospective of his work (notably at the MOMA in New York and San Francisco) cemented his reputation as an international artist and drew attention to the breadth of his range on a wider [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

it’s just a book… “Jacqueline” by Ron Galella, Photographer

September 17th, 2009 · Comments Off · Coffee Table Books, It's just a Book, Jacqueline Kennedy

It is not  Jacqueline Kennedy Week at Wallflower Dispatches. However, rarely available, but currently for sale online at Paul Smith, this book represents the best of countless photographs that Galella has taken of Mrs Onassis and her children. Also included are many photographs of the Kennedy family.

After prolonged litigation, Galella brings together the very best of his [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

it’s just a book…”Jackie: A Life in Pictures” by Pierre-Henri Verlhac and Yann-Brice Dherbier

September 16th, 2009 · 2 Comments · Biography, Coffee Table Books, It's just a Book, Jacqueline Kennedy

With the passing of two of the last three children surviving JFK siblings this August, Eunice aged 88 and Edward aged 77, it is hard to imagine that their glamorous sister-in-law Jacqueline would have celebrated her 80th birthday this year.

Despite her death fifteen years ago, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis continues to grace the cover of magazines [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··············