Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'It's just a Book'

it’s just a book…”Bronzino” by Maurice Brock

September 10th, 2009 · No Comments · Art, Coffee Table Books, It's just a Book

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

it’s just a book – “How to be an Alien” by George Mikes

August 19th, 2009 · No Comments · It's just a Book

It has often been left to immigrants to shape the self-image of their adopted country. Although this is evident and almost taken for granted in places such as the United States, it is perhaps less obvious in Great Britain.
The German composer Georg Friedrich Händel wrote one of the nation’s most enduring soundtracks with his “Watermusic”. The [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

it’s just a book – “Safari” by Bartle Bull

August 10th, 2009 · 2 Comments · Africa & Safari, It's just a Book

When this book first appeared in 1988, the romance of Safari fever was at its height. The movie “Out of Africa” had spawned a whole new revival in fashion with jodhpurs, leather and animal prints. The US designer Ralph Lauren launched the eponymous perfume and people rediscovered Beryl Markham, Isak Dinesen and the notorious “Happy [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··········

it’s just a book…

July 9th, 2009 · No Comments · Historical Novels, It's just a Book

Quite predictably, this sweeping biography of London from before it existed as a city to how we know it today, would be a great holiday read.
Rutherfurd draws on the extensive research that is well documented at the superb Museum of London and manages to link the exciting history of Britain’s capital by introducing a number [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

it’s just a book… “LIFE goes to the Movies”

May 27th, 2009 · No Comments · Coffee Table Books, It's just a Book

When Hollywood still ruled supreme in producing celluloid dreams in the 1930s, LIFE magazine hit the newsstands on high quality paper showing readers that photographs were as convincing as text to tell a story. Sold for a dime, the magazine became an instant hit.
With respected contributors such as Alfred Eisenstaedt, Margaret Bourke-White, Robert Capa, Lee [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

it’s just a book…

May 20th, 2009 · No Comments · Biography, History, It's just a Book

Hannah Pakula “An Uncommon Woman – The Empress Frederick”

19th century Great Britain is commonly known as “Victorian England” after the monarch who ruled it, although it would be more appropriate if it were called the “Albertian Age” after her Prince Consort.
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha was a man of progressive and relatively liberal ideas [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

it’s just a book…

May 7th, 2009 · No Comments · Biography, It's just a Book, Literature & Letters

Serena Vitale “Pushkin’s Button”
There are two reasons why this biography reads like a novel. The life of Alexander Pushkin (Алексaндр Сергeевич Пyшкин), who continues to be Russia’s greatest and most beloved poet was short but rich in tragedy, passion and adventure. 

The second reason is Serena Vitale’s ability to find the right style and tone to [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

it’s just a book…

April 15th, 2009 · No Comments · It's just a Book, Journalism - Word & Image

Martha Gellhorn “The View from the Ground”
Martha Gellhorn was one of the great journalists in the last century. “The View from the Ground” is a collection of articles she wrote over six decades between the 1930s and 1980s. 
Her reports on America throughout the depression to one of her later accounts of the day General Franco [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

it’s just a book…

April 3rd, 2009 · No Comments · Biography, It's just a Book, Movies

Alexander Granach “Da geht ein Mensch”
Alexander Granach “There goes an Actor”
Internationally speaking, his most famous role was that of one of Ninotchka’s comrade’s in Ernst Lubitsch’s film of the same name. As one of Greta Garbo’s Russian sidekicks, he played alongside some of the great Hollywood stars of the 1930s.
But Alexander Granach was a success [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

it’s just a book…

March 25th, 2009 · No Comments · Journalism - Word & Image

Yann Arthus-Bertrand and Sybille D’Orgeval “Six milliards d’Autres”       

Yann Arthus-Bertrand is a well-known photographer whose aerial shots for his “Earth from Above” project have iconic status. While working on a photo shoot in Mali, and being stranded because the helicopter had broken down, Bertrand found himself spending the day with a local villager.
In [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··········