Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Provence'

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Great Debate

November 23rd, 2013 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Perhaps those people who move to foreign countries and never learn to speak the language of their new homeland are on to something much more profound than previously realised.
Before being in command of the French language, it appeared attractive because of its melodic sound, its elegant phrasing and all those many words. They joy of [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – Graffiti

November 26th, 2012 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Having learned English from scratch from the age of 12, there are many happy little stories of mistakes made in grammar and vocabulary. Some words will always be associated with an anecdote and are the ones that stick more deeply in one’s brain.
The first time we drove down our tiny little village road here in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Traffic

May 21st, 2012 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The epicentre of all our village traffic activity is a small stretch of tarmac called the Grande Rue.  The street’s dimensions are about 800 metres in length (from entering the village to leaving it) and about five metres across at its widest point.
It would appear, that those inhabitants who never left the village, and for [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat – Snow

February 2nd, 2012 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Regardless of what will happen throughout the rest of the day, the last twenty-four hours will enter into the folklore of our village history.
Perhaps it will be known as “l’hiver de deux-mille douze”, maybe we will refer to it as “l’année de la grande neige”.
Outside our house next to the disused water fountain stands a [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The Charming Mountain Goat – La Bouffe – Grub

January 18th, 2012 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

It is important to be straight in this crooked world.
This maxim also applies to the lesser activities of life such as fielding marketing calls.
Unsolicited marketing calls.
Unsolicited marketing calls in French.
Unsolicited marketing calls in French while you are in the middle of something.
Unsolicited marketing calls in French placed from Algiers by a French speaking Arab. Who [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat – Roman Roots

December 9th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

If you sail along the coast of the Côte d’Azur between Nice and St. Tropez, it becomes immediately clear why around 100 B.C.E., the Romans stopped off at what it now Fréjus.
After rolling hills, death-defying rocks and the never-ending skyline of the Alps in the distance, Fréjus is the first area where the Romans found [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The Charming Mountain Goat – An Army of 12.000 for a Group of 20

November 3rd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Despite the grey autumnal weather that has been heading our way, this week I have been seeing blue. To be precise: Royal blue.
Whizzing up and down the A8 motorway that runs along the Cote D’Azur, an army of blue clad gendarmes has been spotted in every hole, crevasse, abandoned slip road, on bridges and behind [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Betrayal Part 2

July 22nd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

It has been nearly five weeks since Émile’s betrayal hit our quartier and he moved from his house and family next door to live with Paloma, the young neighbour opposite. Our little corner of the village is a little deserted this summer.
Several observations have been quite astounding.
In one way or another, we have all been [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – Grocery Shopping with the Danish Prince and Johnny Hallyday

July 15th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

It is true that the South of France attracts many celebrities. A few years ago, popping out of our non-descript little house in our plain little village to pick up the piglets from the village school, I nearly ran into Helen Mirren. Apparently she is a neighbour.
David Beckham’s phone number was in the phonebook until [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····················

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Breton Couple

March 23rd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The bottle-green caterpillar made us stop. He was negotiating his way up on a thin thread of silk he had spun himself and that was hanging down from a large tree. It looked like he was hugging the silk into a ball. We stopped and stared for a good while.
We were some way along a [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····