Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'South of France'

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Breton Couple

March 23rd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The bottle-green caterpillar made us stop. He was negotiating his way up on a thin thread of silk he had spun himself and that was hanging down from a large tree. It looked like he was hugging the silk into a ball. We stopped and stared for a good while.
We were some way along a [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Cooking

February 5th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

The French take to the streets regularly and not always to sit at small round tables to sip coffee.
In the middle of last October, the French nation was out in force to express their displeasure at the proposed changes to the national retirement age. Blockades from the harbours on the northern coast to motorways in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – “You Gotta Have Faith”

October 11th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The house opposite ours is painted orange pink and has green shutters. For the first two years they remained firmly closed. Michel, a policeman from Marseille, owned the house. He was of slight built with a grey handlebar moustache and visited infrequently.
He was always very nice and commended the children for their polite behaviour, relating [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…on the beach with the Beckham Boys

September 15th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Lac St Cassien lies about 12 km west of Cannes. This summer many tourists chose the lake over the nearby beaches, which still threw up pollution resulting from the devastating storms that affected the area in the middle of June.
Just across the bridge that spans a narrow part of the lake is a play area [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:············

The Charming Mountain Goat – No Photos, please!

May 17th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Our village is only listed in some of the more specialised guidebooks, those that go into great detail about Provence and the Côte d’Azur.
From a tourist point of view, there is nothing special about our village. It has never won any prizes in categories such as “Plus Beaux Villages de France”, it has no gourmet [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The Charming Mountain Goat – A Tale of Two Hospitals

April 1st, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Piglet 1 is a tomboy, a “garçon manqué”, a “Mädchen zum Pferdestehlen”. She operates at 150 miles an hour whether she is eating, speaking, thinking, reading, running, playing, or working. She is utterly fearless, super enormous fun, possesses a heart of great kindness, not easily fooled and thoroughly honest. She won’t dish the dirt with [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

The Charming Mountain Goat – Snow

February 12th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

February is the time of year when everything turns YELLOW and spring is in the air.
Yesterday it all turned white. Escota who manages the motorways here has announced 40cm of snow.
The roads are closed, life is paralysed, we are asked to use electricity sparingly and not leave the house.
Life isn’t only sunshine on the Côte [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – Playing “Boules”

October 5th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

When the temperature rises to “mellow balmy evening” any time between May and late September, dinner party guests are often seen leaving the table after the main course and before dessert.
In groups of six or eight (depending on the length of the guest list), they traipse through the narrow streets with a small rectangular [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – Rain

September 28th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The first days of rain towards the last days of summer arrive without warning or prior announcement, forcing the blue skies to move on. And in an instant gone are the memories of languid days on the beach basking in the sun.
The drips fall slowly and loudly, bouncing off the terracotta roof tiles. Soon [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – Law and Order

September 15th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Law and order is strictly enforced in Provence as long as it falls into the hours of 8.30 – 12.00 and then again at 15.30 – 17.00. Most preferably it should not interfere with lunch or the 11 o’clock espresso either. Neither law nor order is above a cosy chat with an old acquaintance.
Our [...]

[Read more →]

Tags: