Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Arts & Culture'

The WD Interview – Lizzie Garrett Mettler, Author “Tomboy Style”

April 3rd, 2012 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Lizzie, congratulations on the publication of your book. For those who don’t know your blog – what is tomboy style?
Thank you so much! The blog is a way to visually explore the definition of tomboy style, past and present, and think about its tangential subjects. It’s been so much fun to do!

How did you come [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The WD Interview – Hollister Hovey, Blogger

May 13th, 2011 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Design & Fashion, Journalism, The WD Interview

Featured in the New York Times and Elle Decoration UK, Hollister Hovey’s eponymous blog captures and documents the trend of what has been termed “new vintage” living. Its charm lies in the author’s distinctive chronicling of classics past and present, cheerfully ignoring that we live in disposable world.
Wallflower Dispatches met up with her in Manhattan.
The [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·················

The WD Interview – Echo Morgan, Artist

February 15th, 2011 · 2 Comments · Arts & Culture, Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Wallflower Dispatches meets Echo Morgan (Chinese name: Xie Rong), an illustrator and artist born in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province in Southwest China.
She left the Sichuan Fine Art Academy to continue her studies in Europe at London’s Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.
Her illustrations have been published in Vogue China and Marie Claire. [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:············

The WD Interview – Axel Klausmeier, Director Berlin Wall Foundation

March 26th, 2010 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, General, The WD Interview

It seems appropriate that Axel Klausmeier’s office overlooks one of the most famous former crossing points of the Berlin Wall in central Berlin in Bernauer Strasse. In the 28 year history of the Wall, this section is perhaps the most symbolic and emotional.
It was here that mass escapes took place. Iconic photographs such as the [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The WD Interview – Ben Wilson, Chewing Gum Artist

January 22nd, 2010 · 2 Comments · Arts & Culture, The WD Interview

The next time you are loitering outside the Royal Academy of Arts in Piccadilly in London, ignore the big names exhibiting at Burlington House and instead look out for a small colourful painting in the road. It is the work of artist Ben Wilson, who over the past five years has painted around 10,000 pieces [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·········

The WD Interview – Mick Rooney, Painter & Curator, Royal Academy of Arts

July 1st, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, The WD Interview

Mick Rooney is a British painter who lives and works in London. He was elected Royal Academician in 1991. His painting, Shangri-La was a recent Royal Academy Object of the Month.
The Royal Academy Summer Exhibition is held every June, July and August in Piccadilly in Central London. It is an open exhibition and has been [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

The WD Interview – Anita Contini, Director Memorial, Cultural and Civic Programs, Lower Manhattan Development Corporation

May 6th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, General, The WD Interview

We don’t know what the new downtown skyline will look like. But we do know it will contain a memorial. According to one dictionary a memorial is ‘something that keeps remembrance of persons or events alive’. It is Anita Contini’s task to project manage the process of creating that ‘something’. The words she uses most [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The WD Interview – Julie August, Gallery Owner & Art Dealer

March 16th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, The WD Interview

What do you do with an 18 metre long corridor that’s dead space? Julie August converted part of her Berlin apartment into a gallery, playing with the concept of living with art versus living IN art. Here she explains why a White Cube is not always the best home for contemporary paintings and sculptures.
It [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The WD Interview – John Haworth, Director, George Gustav Heye Center, Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian

April 10th, 2008 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, The WD Interview

The National Museum of the American Indian that houses the George Gustav Heye Center has occupied the old US Custom House since 1994. Starting in 1903, Heye assembled a personal collection of Native American artefacts over a 54-year period. It formed the basis for a collection that now comprises more than 800,000 objects from indigenous [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····