Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'History'

it’s just a book…”Chinese Propaganda Posters” ed. Taschen/Michael Wolf

April 9th, 2010 · 1 Comment · Art, History, It's just a Book

Michael Wolf is a German photographer who has lived in China for the last 15 years.
The collaboration with the publisher Benedict Taschen produced Wolf’s documentation of the shaping of public politics and opinion making comprising his extensive collection of Chinese propaganda posters.
As always, nothing is more revealing about the truth of politics than its propaganda [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

it’s just a book…

May 20th, 2009 · No Comments · Biography, History, It's just a Book

Hannah Pakula “An Uncommon Woman – The Empress Frederick”

19th century Great Britain is commonly known as “Victorian England” after the monarch who ruled it, although it would be more appropriate if it were called the “Albertian Age” after her Prince Consort.
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha was a man of progressive and relatively liberal ideas [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

it’s just a book…

February 5th, 2009 · No Comments · History, It's just a Book

Simone Arnold Liebster “Facing the Lion – Memoirs of a Young Girl in Nazi Europe”

Recently, commenting on the release of a film about his grandfather’s attempted assassination of Adolf Hitler, Gottfried von Stauffenberg observed that during his lifetime, starting in the mid-1960s, German attitudes to the opposition movement during the Nazi regime have changed. Resistance [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··········

it’s just a book…soviet russia I

December 10th, 2008 · Comments Off · Coffee Table Books, History, It's just a Book, Soviet Russia

David King “The Commissar Vanishes”
An incredible book that documents the evil, lunacy and silliness of power hungry political rulers; in this case Soviet Russia. Author David King collected these images over a period of 20 years.  Soviet art departments falsified history through retouching, faking or simply cropping photographs by adding or eliminating politicians depending on [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······