Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'French Food'

The Charming Mountain Goat – La Bouffe – Grub

January 18th, 2012 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

It is important to be straight in this crooked world.
This maxim also applies to the lesser activities of life such as fielding marketing calls.
Unsolicited marketing calls.
Unsolicited marketing calls in French.
Unsolicited marketing calls in French while you are in the middle of something.
Unsolicited marketing calls in French placed from Algiers by a French speaking Arab. Who [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat – Cooking

February 5th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

The French take to the streets regularly and not always to sit at small round tables to sip coffee.
In the middle of last October, the French nation was out in force to express their displeasure at the proposed changes to the national retirement age. Blockades from the harbours on the northern coast to motorways in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – When Bernard the Baker Died

January 19th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food

Two years and a few weeks ago, Bernard the baker died. Passing the closed wooden front door of the bakery in the Grande Rue, a cluster of burning candles lit the dark spot where the road turns slightly. Instinctively, we understood this silent vigil. The bakery had been closed for nearly two months, while [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat – Cake and “Pain”

June 20th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

After diligent in-depth research here are some very detailed, but nevertheless extremely important reasons why one should never ever pass a boulangerie in the South of France without entering and purchasing something.

To begin with, there are the very basic reasons that every one is aware of: Croissants, Pain au Chocolat, Brioche, Croissants aux amandes, Croissants [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Plat du Jour

May 30th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

The litany is always the same. When asked: “What did you have for lunch today?” Piglet 1 and Piglet 2’s response always starts with: “For starters we had…., followed by….and for dessert they gave us….” Fill in sample words such as Ratatouille, Mousse au Chocolat and Crudités and you get a fairly accurate idea of [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···