Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries Tagged as 'Charming Mountain Goat'

The Charming Mountain Goat – Betrayal

June 25th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, South of France

The seasons of southern France have one strange characteristic. They arrive over night and consist either of summer or winter. The period of transience, when the leaves turn brown or the buds sprout is very brief and often even goes unnoticed. The chestnut tree that stands not fifty meters from here is bare-naked one day [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Manhattan

April 22nd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Impression I: 65 East 82nd Street, New York, New York

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Breton Couple

March 23rd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The bottle-green caterpillar made us stop. He was negotiating his way up on a thin thread of silk he had spun himself and that was hanging down from a large tree. It looked like he was hugging the silk into a ball. We stopped and stared for a good while.
We were some way along a [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Coco Sumner was right about love

February 17th, 2011 · 1 Comment · Charming Mountain Goat

In the almost three years that the charming mountain goat has been bleating about life in the deep south of France, Piglet 1 has turned into a teenager in rather unquiet fashion.
Hanging from trees is still one of her main occupations, but new additions include regular training of one-handed handstands, athletics, continued practice of forward [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Genova

February 7th, 2011 · 1 Comment · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Domenico Parodi’s allegoric painting on the ceiling of the Salotto del Tempo (Room of Time) at the Palazzo Reale in Genoa portrays the young and attractive Truth unveiled by the wise old man Time, while the Lie – unmasked and horrified – is seen fleeing in the corner of the ceiling.
The Palazzo Reale was built [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Cooking

February 5th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

The French take to the streets regularly and not always to sit at small round tables to sip coffee.
In the middle of last October, the French nation was out in force to express their displeasure at the proposed changes to the national retirement age. Blockades from the harbours on the northern coast to motorways in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – “You Gotta Have Faith”

October 11th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

The house opposite ours is painted orange pink and has green shutters. For the first two years they remained firmly closed. Michel, a policeman from Marseille, owned the house. He was of slight built with a grey handlebar moustache and visited infrequently.
He was always very nice and commended the children for their polite behaviour, relating [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…on the beach with the Beckham Boys

September 15th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Lac St Cassien lies about 12 km west of Cannes. This summer many tourists chose the lake over the nearby beaches, which still threw up pollution resulting from the devastating storms that affected the area in the middle of June.
Just across the bridge that spans a narrow part of the lake is a play area [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:············

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Kiev

July 13th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Leaving Kiev at dawn, the air smelt sweetly. This was the voyage’s last surprise. I had come across this well used phrase in novels, but never inhaled the air that inspired it.
But here in the northwest outskirts of Kiev, the air really did smell sweetly, pure and warm. There were no blossoms in sight and [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The Charming Mountain Goat – No Photos, please!

May 17th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Our village is only listed in some of the more specialised guidebooks, those that go into great detail about Provence and the Côte d’Azur.
From a tourist point of view, there is nothing special about our village. It has never won any prizes in categories such as “Plus Beaux Villages de France”, it has no gourmet [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··