Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries from June 2008

The Charming Mountain Goat – Prejudice and Prejudice

June 26th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat

“I have seen much to hate here, much more to forgive. But in a world where England is finished and dead, I do not wish to live.” Alice Duer Miller: The White Cliffs

Living in a house where some parts are about 400 years old has its idiosyncrasies. So far we have failed to find a [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······

The Charming Mountain Goat – After you…no, after you…

June 23rd, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Shaking hands upon meeting someone plays a rather central part of German childhood education. It took years to undo this civilised habit upon arriving in England, even though Sir Walter Raleigh is said to have introduced it in the 16th century. Since “Hello. How are you?” was almost too intimate an opening, including a touch of [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Cake and “Pain”

June 20th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

After diligent in-depth research here are some very detailed, but nevertheless extremely important reasons why one should never ever pass a boulangerie in the South of France without entering and purchasing something.

To begin with, there are the very basic reasons that every one is aware of: Croissants, Pain au Chocolat, Brioche, Croissants aux amandes, Croissants [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

it’s just a thought…

June 18th, 2008 · Comments Off · It's just a Thought

“Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?”

Jane Austen (1775 – 1817)

[Read more →]

Tags:

it’s just a thought…

June 11th, 2008 · No Comments · It's just a Thought

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
 Mark Twain (1835-1910)

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Showy Display of one’s Means of Life

June 5th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Our eyes didn’t deceive us: the man in the black jeans and the black shirt really was brushing his car with a dustpan brush. Its long black hairs glistening in the muted sun like the coat of a prize-winning labrador at a Norfolk County dog show. The passing Frenchman also walked by in astonishment, confirming [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

it’s just a thought…

June 4th, 2008 · Comments Off · It's just a Thought

“All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

[Read more →]

Tags: