Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Entries from January 2009

The WD Interview – Michael Aram Tarr, Photographer

January 30th, 2009 · No Comments · Photography, The WD Interview

To hear the words “I really loved the media blackout“ from a professional photographer might seem like a contradiction, but Michael Aram Tarr has just spent the last five years living and working in Arunachal Pradesh, an isolated region in India.
The result of this work has recently been published in a book called “Through the [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

it’s just a book…

January 29th, 2009 · No Comments · It's just a Book

Michel Ocelot ”Azur & Asmar”
This is the story of two boys - blonde, blue-eyed Azur and dark, brown-eyed Asmar who are being raised as brothers by Asmar’s mother. Azur, the heir of a nobleman and Asmar, the son his Arab nurse are rudely separated by Azur’s father. Reunited as adults they both embark a quest to win [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:

it’s just a thought…

January 27th, 2009 · No Comments · It's just a Thought

„Das Wesen der gesamten Photographie ist dokumentarischer Art.“
“The nature of all photography is documentary.” 
August Sander (1876-1964)

[Read more →]

Tags:····

it’s just a book…“Negro – An Anthology” by Nancy Cunard

January 23rd, 2009 · 1 Comment · Africa & Safari, African Culture, It's just a Book

Nancy Cunard “Negro – An Anthology”
In 1928, Nancy Cunard, the beautiful, intelligent, British upper class heiress to the Cunard shipping line fortune fell in love. She had tried to play her alloted part in British post-war society and failed. Instead, she moved to Paris, fell in with some of the great writers and poets of her [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····················

The WD Interview – Anne Valentin, Eyewear Designer (part II)

January 22nd, 2009 · 2 Comments · Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

If the boom of the brand it not your idea of making a fashion statement, then France remains one of the countries where you can still find intelligent design that doesn’t scream in people’s faces. Here, unlike other countries, youth is not a free pass to qualify as a style icon: Catherine Deneuve, Loulou de [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

it’s just a thought…

January 21st, 2009 · No Comments · It's just a Thought

“To cure jealousy is to see it for what it is, a dissatisfaction with self.”
Joan Didion

[Read more →]

Tags:

The Charming Mountain Goat – When Bernard the Baker Died

January 19th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food

Two years and a few weeks ago, Bernard the baker died. Passing the closed wooden front door of the bakery in the Grande Rue, a cluster of burning candles lit the dark spot where the road turns slightly. Instinctively, we understood this silent vigil. The bakery had been closed for nearly two months, while [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

it’s just a thought…

January 14th, 2009 · Comments Off · It's just a Thought

“I improve on misquotation.”
Cary Grant (1904-1986)

[Read more →]

Tags:·

The WD Interview – Harald Gottschling & Philipp Haffmans, Eyewear Designers (part I)

January 13th, 2009 · Comments Off · Berlin, Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Let’s get one thing clear from the start. For all its creativity, Germany is not a typical breeding ground for entrepreneurs. To be successful internationally, you will have either been born into the cluster of old wealthy clans whose names are instantly recognised abroad, or you pack your bags and leave.
Mykita, the German eyewear company, [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Ventimiglia, Italy

January 9th, 2009 · 2 Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

From Nice it is a 15-minute car ride into Italy. The Côte d’Azur and the Ligurian Coast blend seamlessly into each other. It is a favourite past time of many locals to pop over for the day and visit the nearby markets in Ventimiglia or San Remo. Everyone leaves laden with fruits, vegetables, Italian specialities, leather [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····