Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 2

The Charming Mountain Goat – An Army of 12.000 for a Group of 20

November 3rd, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Despite the grey autumnal weather that has been heading our way, this week I have been seeing blue. To be precise: Royal blue.

Whizzing up and down the A8 motorway that runs along the Cote D’Azur, an army of blue clad gendarmes has been spotted in every hole, crevasse, abandoned slip road, on bridges and behind hedges.

Overhead, helicopters have been flying, planes circling.

Up and down the motorway they have been riding on their shiny BMW motorcycles, lights flashing, breaking speed limits. Incidental sunbeams occasionally spotlight the black glossy boots that push down hard on the pedals.

They are usually in twos and as always, most of them seem to fill their time chatting to each other intensely. Some have even been fitted with very small binoculars and point them into the sky. They look mildly bored.

Around the coast at Cannes, all water activity is suspended until next week.

The children of Cannes and Le Cannet do not have to come into school from their half term break until next Monday. Today the motorway between Mandelieu and Cannes will be closed at intervals of 20-30 minutes. Here some other figures.

Since the people have elected almost all of the politicians present for the G-20 summit this activity begs two questions: What are they so scared of?

And: Why?

Tags: ·····

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.