Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 2

The WD Interview – Lizzie Garrett Mettler, Author “Tomboy Style”

April 3rd, 2012 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Lizzie, congratulations on the publication of your book. For those who don’t know your blog – what is tomboy style?

Thank you so much! The blog is a way to visually explore the definition of tomboy style, past and present, and think about its tangential subjects. It’s been so much fun to do!

How did you come up with the idea?

I was a classic tomboy growing up, everything a boy did, I wanted to do.

I noticed that there was a link between this “tomboy spirit” and the fashion that identifies with it. I thought it would be an interesting topic to explore from there.

What did you enjoy most about the making of your book?

Pouring over all the photography and the decades of fashion.

There is so much to look through and be inspired by and learn about. I was a history major in college, so I was definitely in my element during that process.

The editing was very difficult though!

Who are your favorite tomboy style icons and why?

I love the unfussy style of Jane Birkin, she always seems so casual, comfortable, and herself while still looking undeniably stylish.

Why is tomboy style more than just women/girls wearing trousers and dressing in a mannish way?

I think tomboy style is made up of equal parts style and spirit—anyone can put on an outfit, but to be a real tomboy it takes more than that.

I think there’s a certain rebelliousness, confidence and sense of adventure in a true tomboy.

What is the most important accessory for a tomboy?

Good question. I like men’s watches and sunglasses.

Tomboy Style - The Grid

Will you continue with your blog now that the book is published?

Yes. It’s something that I really enjoy doing. I get great suggestions and comments from readers turning me onto icons, designers, musicians that I’ve never heard before, and even some of their family members and friends that continually excite me and inspire me.

Which of the seven tomboy archetypes described in your book are you?

I think I’m a mixture of the prep, the girl-next-door, and the sophisticate. That’s what my closet tells me anyway!

At the moment, tomboy style is part of mainstream fashion – what advise can you give to those women who are true blood tomboys and will remain so even when the fashion has passed?

The fashion world has embraced tomboy style over and over again for over 100 years, it will continue to ebb and flow.

I think following fashion trends is never all that helpful to creating and maintaining your own personal style.

The important thing is to be true to yourself and reflecting that honestly with your wardrobe. Trends in fashion should have little to no influence on that.

What’s next for Lizzie Garrett?

A little book tour and a little rest, and then on to something new!

Tomboy Style is now available at Rizzoli.

Tags: ········

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.