Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 2

it’s just a book…”Jackie: A Life in Pictures” by Pierre-Henri Verlhac and Yann-Brice Dherbier

September 16th, 2009 · 2 Comments · Biography, Coffee Table Books, It's just a Book, Jacqueline Kennedy

With the passing of two of the last three children surviving JFK siblings this August, Eunice aged 88 and Edward aged 77, it is hard to imagine that their glamorous sister-in-law Jacqueline would have celebrated her 80th birthday this year.

Despite her death fifteen years ago, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis continues to grace the cover of magazines such as Vanity Fair’s October 2009 issue. People’s fascination with her personality, looks and the famous “Jackie Kennedy/Jackie O.” style continues.

Of the one thousand or so books that are available on her, many are no more than rehashed gossip.

What’s left are the photographic documents of her life which either focus on “official” photographs such as the catalogue for the exhibition of her wardrobe “Jacqueline Kennedy: The White House Years”.

On the other hand there are those shots that actually helped to cement Jackie’s iconic casual style, photos of her getting in and out of cars, riding around New York or out in Central Park.

The colour may be faded, but Jackie’s signature look is still fresh and above all: achievable. Can the same be said about the other two style role models that would have been 80 this year: Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn?

Verlhac and Dherbier’s book balances the official with the private Jackie focusing on her life as a mother with photos from all stages of her life.

See also: Lee Radziwill “Happy Times”

Tags: ··············

2 responses so far ↓