Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 2

It’s just a book… “Wall and Piece” by Banksy

January 27th, 2010 · 1 Comment · Art, It's just a Book

This book collects some of the most famous art work of British graffiti/street artist Banksy. His name is a pseudonym and little is known about him. It is believed that he was born in the 1970s near Bristol.

His work can be seen around London, throughout the UK and abroad.

In 1980s England social, cultural and political criticism was often expressed through pop music, the theatre, TV and some of the national press.

Throughout the 1990s these voices were largely silenced or disappeared and thanks to Banksy’s art satirical commentary of British society moved into the street.

Some pieces are specifically English, while others – such as the Segregation Wall in Palestine – have wider meaning.

Although Banksy is anti-capitalism, a number of his works have been sold by Sotheby’s London for large sums of money. His comment on his website the day after: an image of an auction house scene showing people bidding on a picture that said, “I Can’t Believe You Morons Actually Buy This ****.”

Regardless of the image his has managed to create for himself, Banksy must have a highly talented agent/marketing person that promotes his work and sells the product ‘Banksy’ successfully.

The funniest photos in the book document him hanging pseudo paintings in the Tate Gallery, the Louvre and other great art museums and clocking how long they managed to stay part of the exhibit before someone spotted them.

This week, Banksy’s first film Exit Through the Gift Shop premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.

Here is Banksy’s website. Click here if you want to be updated when a new Banksy street art appears and see a location map of his work.

Tags: ·······

1 response so far ↓

• 1 banksy artworks // Jul 4, 2013 at 2:29 am

The location in the ‘84 Worlds Fair was in fact the CBD (Central Business District). I was born, raised and lived 40 many years of my life in NOLA 6 miles through the site of the Worlds Fair. Because on the job situation brought on by Katrina we moved to Houston. I remember the ‘84 Worlds Fair.
    I worked for Showbiz Pizza and had to dress up as the
    characters Billy Bob and Fatz. Chuck-E-Cheese purchased Showbiz that year so we were inside the process in the merge.
    But yes, it was in truth within the CBD. I remember currently being dressed up in those hot suites on hot days on floats parading through
    the streets inside the Worlds Fair. And also the cooler fans inside the suites were broken.
    Despite the heat individuals have been fun times.