Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 2

it’s just a book…”Amelia Earhart – The Thrill of It” by Susan Wels

February 3rd, 2010 · 2 Comments · Biography, It's just a Book

Amelia Earhart continues to fascinate and influence. Her life, her personality and her sense of style are constantly being discovered by new generations.

Over 40 books (“The Sound of Wings: The Life of Amelia Earhart” by Mary S. Lovell, Susan Butler’s “East to the Dawn: The Life of Amelia Earhart”), films (Hilary “Amelia”, Amy Adams in a rather dubious “A Night at the Museum 2” – Diane Keaton’s definitive “The Final Flight” anyone?!), clothes (Belstaff’s Amelia Earhart Bomber Jacket) feed off her life and the mystery of her death. Why publish another book?

Susan Wels had unprecedented access to the both the papers of Sally Putnam Chapman, a granddaughter of Earhart’s husband George Palmer Putnam and Purdue University Library. The result is a richly illustrated book with new material ranging from unseen photographs of Amelia herself and personal items such as her goggles and other historic periphenalia such as letters, membership cards and train tickets.

The chapter on Amelia’s disappearance lists the major theories of her final flight and adds new information.

Whether you are a dedicated Earhart fan or just want to find out more about the award- winning pilot, this book is a rich but concise introduction. From a visual point of view, it has the largest and best selection of Amelia photographs both from her youth and later life.

Tags: ······

2 responses so far ↓

• 1 leclubdustyle // Feb 10, 2010 at 10:03 am

I’m adding this to my wish list. This book seems to contain many images of Amelia I had never seen. That last image is so, so elegant…

• 2 Aron // Mar 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm

That is awesome! At this moment, Belstaff cannot be wrong!