Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

The WD Interview – Axel Klausmeier, Director Berlin Wall Foundation

March 26th, 2010 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, General, The WD Interview

It seems appropriate that Axel Klausmeier’s office overlooks one of the most famous former crossing points of the Berlin Wall in central Berlin in Bernauer Strasse. In the 28 year history of the Wall, this section is perhaps the most symbolic and emotional.
It was here that mass escapes took place. Iconic photographs such as the [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The WD Interview – Julie August, Gallery Owner & Art Dealer

March 16th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, Berlin, The WD Interview

What do you do with an 18 metre long corridor that’s dead space? Julie August converted part of her Berlin apartment into a gallery, playing with the concept of living with art versus living IN art. Here she explains why a White Cube is not always the best home for contemporary paintings and sculptures.
It [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Berlin II

March 2nd, 2009 · No Comments · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Mary and Mohammed are from Sierre Leone, which they both fled at different times. They are shy, but despite that Mary hugs me like an old friend, with a warmth that seldom exists between women in the West. Her husband shakes hands shyly, but his eyes shine and his smile is big. [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

It’s just a book…soviet russia II

February 25th, 2009 · No Comments · It's just a Book, Soviet Russia

Vladimir Mayakovsky “Collected Works”
Vladimir Mayakovsky (Влади́мир Влади́мирович Маяко́вский) is not the most popular or most loved poet, playwright, writer or artist of Soviet Russia. His name is too closely entwined with the early days of the Soviet System and as an early prominent representative of Russian Futurism his art is not to everyone’s taste.
However, [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Berlin

April 18th, 2008 · Comments Off · Berlin, Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

The new old capital of Germany is in financial trouble. Big time. Reunification has cost dearly and over the last few years the city was forced to cut down on its maintenance of public parks and playgrounds. Less and less flowers are being planted every spring. This is a serious sign for a city that [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····