Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

The Wallflower has been…swamped

June 9th, 2010 · No Comments · The Wallflower, Wallflowerdispatches

Apologies for the long silence and non-posting.
Life has been very hectic. A busy work schedule, illness (is the sun ever going to shine again?) and other stuff is at fault.
There will be some changes to Wallflower Dispatches.
Posting will continue, but will be reduced. You can expect further interviews and people in jodhpurs (you would be amazed [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…will be grazing in Shanghai

April 1st, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Next week I will be in Shanghai for about nine days. Be ready for some Charming Mountain Goat observations and WD Interviews – jet lag permitting.
Do not expect shiny new photos of the latest Shanghai skyline – more recycled charming shots in black and white have already been sourced and scaled to size.

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat – And it will be all yellow

February 9th, 2009 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Currently, they are all standing to attention like Busby Berkeley showgirls shimmering in lime coloured costumes; along the A8, the motorway that runs parallel to the Côte D’Azur, the hills and villages beyond, as far as you can strain your eyes to see.
The maize lining of the green clusters is peeping through its branches and [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·········

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Russian Guy

December 8th, 2008 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

His arrival always manifests itself in the same order. The first signs are the open shutters and windows, followed by the loud, blaring classical music that starts long before dawn and continues well into the night. Then the Westminster chime clock starts working again, reminding us that time passes quickly – every 15 minutes relentlessly [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Gift of Children

December 5th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Minutes before he was meant to run in le cross on his sports day, eight-year old Teddy learned that his mother had fainted and been taken ill a few metres from where he was getting ready. She was being treated in the ambulance that had arrived almost at the same time as he was being [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat – Le Mistral

December 1st, 2008 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Then there are those days when the mistral becomes master of our lives. The dry, cold, bitter wind arrives almost unannounced, distracting us with its silly fluffy white clouds that are peculiarly shaped. It clears the skies of any refuse, making them look polished and shining in the sun, with a focused clarity that presents [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Straight is a dirty word

November 17th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Parts of our home, a maison du village, are about 400 hundred years old. The house – like anything that has aged gracefully – displays certain eccentricities. The back wall of the downstairs guest room is actually the mountain itself and below its floor a river runs through it. Formerly, this space that is now [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Atlanta, Georgia

November 4th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

No one ever demonstrated the word ‘strutting’ so perfectly like the 6-foot 2 Afro-American woman walking past Starbucks in downtown Atlanta.  In her yellow 6-inch stiletto heels, her short black dress, and a bottom that looked like she was carrying a cushion-shaped tray under her dress, she exuded beauty because she was completely confident [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

The Charming Mountain Goat… is grazing in Tennessee

November 1st, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

You could just turn it into a game. While circling and cruising the neatly laid out squares that hold shopping malls, walk-in clinics and restaurants that democratically cater for every taste, you could just count the churches along the way. Google ‘churches in TN’ and the search engine comes back dutifully with the number [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········

The Charming Mountain Goat – Wild Boars and Wild Bores

October 13th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

As a small child a lot of summers were spent with a wild old Bavarian farmer who spoke with the thickest south German accent and had the bluest most sparkling eyes, filled with more mischief than even my own crazy imagination could conjure up in all those endless idle childhood moments. One evening, in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:········