Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Ten Years Ago We Used To Live In Battery Park

September 11th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Between 1996 and 2003 we used to live in Downtown Manhattan in Battery Park next to the Twin Towers. The following is the original text submitted for an article that was commissioned by Junior Magazine in 2002. The published article now forms part of the Make History exhibit of the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
The View Two [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The Charming Mountain Goat – Time and Unforeseen Occurrences

March 9th, 2009 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

One inscription on a small stone on the edge of a lonely country road remembers “Jonathan – victime de son courage” who died aged 17. If you were unfamiliar with the culture and couldn’t read the script, you might think these small flower covered headstones that appear frequently alongside the roads are shrines to unknown [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·····

The Charming Mountain Goat – The Gift of Children

December 5th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Minutes before he was meant to run in le cross on his sports day, eight-year old Teddy learned that his mother had fainted and been taken ill a few metres from where he was getting ready. She was being treated in the ambulance that had arrived almost at the same time as he was being [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

it’s just a thought…

October 8th, 2008 · No Comments · It's just a Thought

(photo by Richard Avedon for Bill Blass)

“My children have undoubtedly taught me more than I have taught them.”
India Hicks

[Read more →]

Tags:·········

The Charming Mountain Goat – After you…no, after you…

June 23rd, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, Provence, South of France

Shaking hands upon meeting someone plays a rather central part of German childhood education. It took years to undo this civilised habit upon arriving in England, even though Sir Walter Raleigh is said to have introduced it in the 16th century. Since “Hello. How are you?” was almost too intimate an opening, including a touch of [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat – Plat du Jour

May 30th, 2008 · Comments Off · Charming Mountain Goat, French Food, Provence, South of France

The litany is always the same. When asked: “What did you have for lunch today?” Piglet 1 and Piglet 2’s response always starts with: “For starters we had…., followed by….and for dessert they gave us….” Fill in sample words such as Ratatouille, Mousse au Chocolat and Crudités and you get a fairly accurate idea of [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···

The WD Interview – William Sears, MD

May 5th, 2008 · No Comments · Education

William Sears, one of America’s most renowned pediatricians, is the father of eight children, ages 6 to 31 years, author of 40 + books on childcare.

What makes a ‘successful parent’?
The key is being connected to your child. We certainly all have love for our children, but getting connected with your child helps you to [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:······