Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

Ten Years Ago We Used To Live In Battery Park

September 11th, 2011 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Between 1996 and 2003 we used to live in Downtown Manhattan in Battery Park next to the Twin Towers. The following is the original text submitted for an article that was commissioned by Junior Magazine in 2002. The published article now forms part of the Make History exhibit of the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
The View Two [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·············

The WD Interview – Anita Contini, Director Memorial, Cultural and Civic Programs, Lower Manhattan Development Corporation

May 6th, 2009 · No Comments · Arts & Culture, General, The WD Interview

We don’t know what the new downtown skyline will look like. But we do know it will contain a memorial. According to one dictionary a memorial is ‘something that keeps remembrance of persons or events alive’. It is Anita Contini’s task to project manage the process of creating that ‘something’. The words she uses most [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

The WD Interview – Tessa Huxley, Executive Director Battery Park City Parks Conservancy

November 13th, 2008 · Comments Off · The WD Interview

New York City’s downtown Battery Park City Parks is a favourite with its downtown residents. This is a far cry from the early decades of the last century when the south-western Manhattan shoreline consisted of a mass of piers that welcomed traders from all over the world. It wasn’t the sort of place anyone sought [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···