Wallflower Dispatches

Wallflower Dispatches header image 4

The WD Interview – Helen Lee, Fashion Designer

April 27th, 2010 · 5 Comments · Design & Fashion, The WD Interview

Helen Lee (Li Hongyan in Chinese) is one of China’s foremost designers in the country’s emerging fashion scene.
She trained at Shanghai’s Donghua University and LaSalle College in Montreal. Formerly known as the East-China Textile Institute of Science and Technology, Donghua University is famous for training many fashion designers.
Having launched a successful denim brand in [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:············

The Charming Mountain Goat…is looking for the People’s Republic of China

April 20th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

It is hard to remember that we are in the People’s Republic of China, the largest communist country in the world.
There are no obvious signs. To all intends and purposes we might actually be in a rather generously sprawling part of Chinatown in New York or Chicago or London.
Fact is, Shanghai is a business town. [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

The Charming Mountain Goat…is shopping in Shanghai

April 15th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Writers’ rates being what they are, Shanghai’s most relevant shopping spot is Market 580 in 580 Nanjing Xi Street.
Until June 2006, this market was located outdoors in a park which was a maze of stalls, very dirty and quite confusing. It was also one of the biggest markets in China to offer fake designer goods.
Today [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:····

Jodhpurs Nr. 44 – Kawashima Yoshiko

April 10th, 2010 · No Comments · Jodhpurs

Jodhpurs Nr. 44 by Kawashima Yoshiko
Kawashima Yoshiko (1906-1948) whose Chinese name was Aisin Gioro Xianyu, with the courtesy name Dongzhen (= Eastern Jewel).
Her father, Shanqui, was the tenth Prince Su, who briefly ruled the Manchu of Inner Mongolia.
As Shanqui’s thirteenth child, she was given to Kawashima Naniwa, a Japanese military advisor when she was eight [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:···········

The Charming Mountain Goat…is grazing in Shanghai

April 8th, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

It is common journalistic and literary practice to focus on a detail to explain the larger picture. Six years ago this was perfectly summed up in Shanghai’s Yu Gardens in the old city, which is dominated by a large flying eave wooden Chinese structure, a live Huang Gongwang painting set in 2004.
The small Starbucks Coffee [...]

[Read more →]

Tags:·······

The Charming Mountain Goat…will be grazing in Shanghai

April 1st, 2010 · No Comments · Charming Mountain Goat, Travel Writing

Next week I will be in Shanghai for about nine days. Be ready for some Charming Mountain Goat observations and WD Interviews – jet lag permitting.
Do not expect shiny new photos of the latest Shanghai skyline – more recycled charming shots in black and white have already been sourced and scaled to size.

[Read more →]

Tags:···